059. Masters 25 Puzzle
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
Did you play much Masters 25? Well, before our Dominaria season starts (competitive puzzles open tomorrow on Patreon!), here's a bit of a wild board state to deal with.
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to reveal the solution."]
- Cast Prossh, Skyraider of Kher, using Prophetic Prism to convert a red or black mana to green.
- The cast triggers gives you six 0/1 Kobolds of Kher Keep, then Prosh resolves.
- Go to combat. Declare your 2/2 face-down morph and Phyrexian Ghoul as attackers.
- Once they're attacking, cast Dark Ritual, and use that mana and your other three remaining lands to activate Soulbright Flamekin's ability three times, ensuring both attackers have trample.
- With the eight red mana generated by the Flamekin's ability, morph Akroma, Angel of Wrath using six, and use the other two to give her +2/+0, so she's an 8/6. (Since she was a 2/2 when declared as attacker, it's too late for Ensnaring Bridge to do anything about it now.)
- Sacrifice Prosh, all six Kobolds, Soulbright Flamekin, and Perilous Myr to Phyrexian Ghoul, making it a 20/20. Use the Myr's death trigger to ping Tree of Redemption for 2. (You can also hit the opponent directly or Ruric Thar, the Unbowed - doesn't actually matter as long as you hit something with 2 or more toughness.)
- You now have 28 attacking power, all trample, which will be absorbed by Tree of Redemption (13 toughness, but with 2 damage marked, so effectively 11), Zulaport Cutthroat (1 toughness), Imperial Recruiter (1 toughness), and Ruric Thar, the Unbowed (6 toughness), for a total blocking potential of 19. They can't block with Jackal Pup as you could assign all damage to it, so it's not part of the equation.
- If they don't swap life totals with Tree of Redemption, 9 tramples through for lethal.
- If they do swap life totals with Tree of Redemption, they gain 4 life to go to 13, but lose 4 blocking power, and 13 tramples through for lethal.
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
Want to puzzle for prizes?
Possibility Storm Patrons get some extra perks like prize draws and early puzzle access. Competitive Patrons also submit answers, earn points on our seasonal leaderboard, and take home so sweet prizes for finishing in top spots!