Hour of Devastation - Puzzle #9
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
Get ready for the final puzzle of the Hour of Devastation season! After this week's puzzle, we shift firmly into Ixalan mode. Can you solve this one before checking the solution?
(Click to enlarge)
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to expand the solution."]
- Cast Retreat to Hagra.
- Play the Mountain from your Graveyard. Use the Retreat triggers to give Mina and Denn, Wildborn +1/+0 and deathtouch, and +2/+0.
- Use Mina and Denn's ability to give themselves trample, returning to your hand the Mountain just played.
- Play Game Trail from your Graveyard, revealing the Mountain in your hand so it enters untapped. Use the Retreat triggers to give Mina and Denn another combined +3/+0.
- Play the Foreboding Ruins, revealing the Mountain in your hand so it enters untapped. Use the Retreat triggers to give Mina and Denn another combined +3/+0.
- Cast Swell of Growth, targeting Mina and Denn. Put the Mountain from your hand into play again. Use the Retreat triggers to give Mine and Denn another combined +3/+0.
- Use your remaining two mana to activate Mina and Denn's ability again, giving The Gitrog Monster trample, and returning any land to your hand.
- Attack with a 2/3 Ramunap Excavator, 6/6 trample deathtouch Gitrog Monster, and 18/6 trample deathtouch Mina and Denn. Your opponent's best block is to stop the Excavator with something, and put the other three blockers in front of the tramplers to reduce the damage to 21. Because they also gain 1 from Sacred Cat's lifelink, they take exactly 20.(Note it is also possible to swap one of the Retreat to Valakut's triggers from +2/+0 to preventing Sacred Cat from blocking, to the same total damage effect.)
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
Not a Patron yet? Click here to see how prizing works, and click here to see the prizes available for the current season.
How did you do? Tune in again next Monday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, and get to submit solutions to earn points and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for spicy Magic: The Gathering prizes, generously provided by our very own MTGCanada.com!
Thanks and see you next week!