Ixalan Season - Puzzle #7
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
Trigger warning! No seriously, this puzzle has lots and lots and lots of triggers. This warning is about them.
(Click to enlarge)
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to expand the solution."]
- Use Huatli, Warrior Poet's -X ability to deal 2 damage to Pia Nalaar, killing her, and make one of your opponent's creatures unable to block. Pia dying triggers Ashes of the Abhorrent and the life totals are now 11 (you) vs 14 (them).
- Go to combat. All four God-Pharaoh's Gift triggers go on the stack.
- As the first resolves, choose Reckless Fireweaver. Anointed Procession doubles the token-making effect, so we get two of them. This triggers Trespasser's Curse twice, taking the life totals to 9 vs 16.
- For the second, choose Pia Nalaar. Anointed Procession doubles the effect so we get two of them. We must immediately sacrifice one to the legend rule. Our opponent gains 1 from Ashes [9 vs 17], then drains us for 2 with Trespasser's Curse triggers [7 vs 19], and then both Pias' Thopter-making abilities resolve, each of which is doubled to give us a total of four Thopters.
- Each of those 4 Thopters triggers Trespasser's Curse to drain us for 4 more [3 vs 23], but also each Reckless Fireweaver four times for a total of 8 damage to our opponent [3 vs 15].
- For the third Gift trigger, choose Gearseeker Serpent. Two more basically-vanilla 4/4s get created, triggering the Curse twice more to bring the totals to [1 vs 17].
- Elect not to use the fourth trigger to keep from dying.
- Activate Pia's second ability seven times, sacrifice each of the four God-Pharaoh's Gifts and three Thopter tokens, making the other seven blockers unable to block. The Thopters dying triggers Ashes of the Abhorrent three more times. [1 vs 20]
- Attack with two 4/4 Reckless Fireweavers, one 4/4 Pia Nalaar, and two 4/4 Gearseeker Serpents into no blockers to deal a lethal 20.
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Monday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle for prizes?
Possibility Storm Patrons get some extra perks like prize draws and early puzzle access. Competitive Patrons also submit answers, earn points on our seasonal leaderboard, and take home so sweet prizes for finishing in top spots! Take a peek and see if it's for you. We appreciate both your engagement and your support.
Thanks and see you next week!