Rivals of Ixalan Season - Puzzle #2
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
Here's our first Mythic puzzle from our Rivals of Ixalan season.
(Click to enlarge)
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to expand the solution."]
- Cast Cartouche of Solidarity on your Anointer Priest using a Concealed Courtyard. Gain 1 life off Aetherflux Reservoir to go up to 3. Cartouche resolves, Anointer Priest becomes a 2/4 with first strike, and you create a 1/1 Soldier token. Gain 1 life off Anointer Priest to go up to 4.
- Cast Invigorated Rampage to give +4/+0 and trample to Solemn Recruit using your two remaining lands. Gain 2 life off the Reservoir to go up to 6.
- Tap Sanctum of the Sun to make six red mana. Use four of it to cast Heart-Piercer Manticore. Gain 3 life off the Reservoir to go to 9.
- When the Manticore's ETB ability goes on the stack, hold priority, and cast Vona's Hunger using your treasure to make black mana and the remaining two red. Gain 4 life off the Reservoir to go to 13. You have 10 permanents in play right now (4 lands, Anointer Priest, Solemn Recruit, 1/1 Soldier, Cartouche of Solidarity, Aetherflux Reservoir, and the Manticore), so your opponent must sacrifice three creatures. They have several options here but the closest they come to surviving involves them sacrificing their three Servos, which lets Marionette Master drain you down to 10.
- Let Manticore's ETB resolve, choosing to fling your Anointer Priest at their Emissary of Sunrise, killing it. (This is important so the Emissary's first strike damage doesn't kill your Solemn Recruit before it can strike a second time.)
- Attack with your 6/2 Double strike Solemn Recruit. With only a 1/3 left behind, 9 tramples over for lethal.
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Monday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle for prizes?
Possibility Storm Patrons get some extra perks like prize draws and early puzzle access. Competitive Patrons also submit answers, earn points on our seasonal leaderboard, and take home so sweet prizes for finishing in top spots!
The Rivals of Ixalan season opens on January 16. Take a peek and see if it's for you. We appreciate both your engagement and your support.
Thanks and see you next week!