Hour of Devastation - Puzzle #2
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series, available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
We're back with yet another puzzle - the second of the Hour of Devastation season! The season is still young for those considering signing up on Patreon to battle it out for prizes.
The solution for this week's puzzle can be found below the image. It's another complicated one, so if you're going to give it a go before checking out the answer, make sure to use your favourite way to keep track of your steps. And the triggers... oh the triggers.
(Click to enlarge)
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to expand the solution."]
- Cast Lethal Sting targeting Kari Zev, Skyship Raider. Put the -1/-1 counter on your Festering Mummy.
- Triggers! You cast a spell, so Firebrand Archer's trigger goes on the stack. You lost a creature, so Zulaport Cutthroat's ability goes on the stack. You put a -1/-1 counter on something, so Nest of Scarabs triggers. And your Festering Mummy died, so it triggers and you put a -1/-1 counter on anything your opponent controls. (When this gets around to happening, it will of course trigger the Nest again.)
- At the end of that whole mess, you'll come out of it with two Insects, a dead Kari Zev and Festering Mummy (and maybe an opposing Bloodmad Vampire, but it doesn't actually matter), and your opponent will be at 5.
- Cast Grind on your two new insects. Firebrand Archer deals 1 damage, and Zulaport drains for 2 to put your opponent to 2.
- Attack with Zulaport Cutthroat and Firebrand Archer. Because they will each either connect or result in a Cutthroat trigger (important that Kari Zev is dead or her first strike messes this up), you will deal at least 2.
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Wednesday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, and get to submit solutions to earn points and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for spicy Magic: The Gathering prizes, generously provided by our very own MTGCanada.com!
Thanks and see you next week!