Hour of Devastation - Puzzle #3
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series, available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
We're back with yet another puzzle - the third of the Hour of Devastation season! The season is still young for those considering signing up on Patreon to battle it out for prizes.
The solution for this week's puzzle can be found below the image. It's our first mythic of the season, so don't be surprised if it takes more than a few tries!
(Click to enlarge)
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to expand the solution."]
- Cast Prophetic Ravings, targeting Vizier of the Menagerie. Tap the Vizier to activate the ability, discarding Sweltering Suns and drawing Glorybringer. Cunning Survivor gets +1/+0 and is unblockable.
- Cast Kozilek, the Great Distortion. Draw a bunch of Mountains to have a full grip of seven, then Kozilek resolves.
- Use Chandra, Flamecaller's 0 ability to discard your seven card hand, and draw eight Mountains. Cunning Survivor gets +7/+0 and is extra unblockable.
- Use Nissa, Vital Force's -3 ability to return Walking Ballista to your hand.
- Cast Walking Ballista with X=0. Before passing priority, use Kozilek's ability to discard one of the eight mountains from your hand to counter the Ballista, since both have a converted mana cost of zero. Without letting the counter ability resolve, do this seven more times to dump your whole hand. Cunning Survivor gets +8/+0 and is now seriously really really unblockable.
- With power bumps of 1, 7, and 8, your Cunning Survivor is now a 17/3. Swing for lethal!
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Wednesday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, and get to submit solutions to earn points and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for spicy Magic: The Gathering prizes, generously provided by our very own MTGCanada.com!
Thanks and see you next week!