Hour of Devastation - Puzzle #6
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
This week's puzzle is ready for you below. Can you solve it before checking the solution?
(Click to enlarge)
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to expand the solution."]
- Cast Goblin Dark-Dwellers.
- Use the Goblin's ETB ability to target Kari Zev's Expertise and cast it for free, targeting Mina and Denn, Wildborn. As it resolves, decline to cast a spell with CMC 2 or less from your hand for free.
- Once you've gained control of Mina and Denn, use their ability to give themselves trample, bouncing a Mountain to your hand as part of the cost.
- Replay the Mountain, then go to combat, attacking with both Grim Flayers and Mina and Denn.
- Two different relevant blocking scenarios exist:
- If the opponent leaves Mina and Denn unblocked, cast Precise Strike on them and they will deal 5 for lethal.
- In any other blocking scenario, at least one Grim Flayer will be blocked by a creature with toughness 2 or less. After blockers are declared, cast Precise Strike on it. This will allow at least one point of first strike damage through.
When that Flayer deals first strike damage, its trigger goes off and you can put the Mountain into your graveyard, turning on Delirium to give the other Flayer +2/+2.
Effectively now, you have attacked with 3 + 4 + 4 = 11 power, all trample, and your opponent has total toughness of 1 + 2 + 3 = 6, and will therefore take at least 5 damage for lethal.
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Wednesday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, and get to submit solutions to earn points and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for spicy Magic: The Gathering prizes, generously provided by our very own MTGCanada.com!
Thanks and see you next week!