Hour of Devastation - Puzzle #7
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
This week's puzzle is ready for you below. Can you solve it before checking the solution?
(Click to enlarge)
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to expand the solution."]
- Cast Metalwork Colossus from your hand for free. Ammit Eternal gets a -1/-1 counter.
- Cast an Elder Deep-Fiend using an island and one Cultivator's Caravan, emerging the freshly-cast Colossus, leading to Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet exiling it and putting a sixth zombie on the board. Ammit Eternal gets a second -1/-1 counter. With the Fiend's cast ability, tap Kalitas and three zombies, leaving three others untapped.
- Cast Fleetwheel Cruiser from your hand using both Hedron Archives. Ammit Eternal gets a third -1/-1 counter.
- While the Cruiser's ETB ability is on the stack, sacrifice it and the tapped Caravan to pay for the ability of the other Metalwork Colossus in the graveyard. Because the Cruiser isn't yet a creature, Kalitas doesn't do anything.
- Cast that Metalwork Colossus also for free, since you have exactly 11 CMC worth of noncreature artifacts left on the board. Ammit Eternal gets a fourth -1/-1 counter.
- Cast the second Elder Deep-Fiend, emerging either the new Colossus or the first Fiend. Same things happen - fourth untapped zombie goes on the board, ability taps all four zombies, and Ammit Eternal gets its fifth and final -1/-1 counter placed on it.
- Use any of the summoning sick creatures to crew the remaining Caravan, and attack with it and the original Colossus (okay, AND the otherwise-useless 0/1 Banewhip Punisher) for 15.
Does something need clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Wednesday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, and get to submit solutions to earn points and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for spicy Magic: The Gathering prizes, generously provided by our very own MTGCanada.com!
Thanks and see you next week!