Possibility Storm: Aether Revolt Puzzle #4
Welcome back to Possibility Storm, the weekly MTG puzzle series, available exclusively through MTGCanada and PossibilityStorm.com.
We hope you enjoyed last week's puzzle. We've got another for you today, so scroll down and have at it!
Also, for those of you considering becoming a Patron, Possibility Storm will be giving away a booster box of Amonkhet to randomly drawn Patron among all those who sign up by April 26. That's also the first day of our Amonkhet seasonal leaderboard, so you've got lots of incentive to sign up before then. Links for Patreon are below the puzzle.
(Click to enlarge)
Think you've got it? Check your answer against the solution below:
[toggle title="Click here to expand the solution."]
- Use Aethertorch Renegade's first ability to deal 1 damage to a Dragonmaster Outcast, killing it. You have 1 energy remaining.
- Cast Press into Service, targeting Mirrorwing Dragon. Choose only Mirrorwing Dragon with the Support ability as well. Ensure that both Druid of the Cowl and Servant of the Conduit are tapped for mana to cast this spell. You have no energy remaining.
- Because Mirrorwing Dragon is the only target of the spell, it is then copied for each one of your creatures, with a copy targeting each of them. As discussed in the rulings below, this means that the initial use of Support is also copied. After Press into Service and all its copies resolve, you have control of Mirrorwing Dragon, and all your creatures are untapped and have one +1/+1 counter on them.
- Using Druid of the Cowl and your one remaining land, cast Highspire Infusion on either Zada, Hedron Grinder, or Mirrorwing Dragon. Either one will copy this onto each of your other creatures. Once all copies resolve, you will have an 8/9 Mirrorwing Dragon, a 7/7 Zada, Hedron Grinder, a 6/6 Servant of the Conduit, a 5/6 Aethertorch Renegade, and a 5/7 Druid of the Cowl (tapped). You gain 10 energy (and now have 10 energy.)
- Use Aethertorch Renegade's first ability to deal 1 damage to the other Dragonmaster Outcast, killing it. You have 8 energy remaining.
- Attack with your 8/9 Mirrorwing Dragon, 7/7 Zada, Hedron Grinder, and 6/6 Druid of the Cowl. Your opponent only has a 5/5 Dragon token remaining, and their best block still allows 7 + 6 = 13 damage to get through for lethal.
Does something needs clarification? Check out the official Rules and Assumptions to see if your answer lies within.
How did you do? Tune in again next Wednesday for the next puzzle in this series.
Want to puzzle at a higher competition level?
For those interested in an element of competition involved, direct participants in the project, through its Patreon campaign, will get access to the puzzles one week early, have sixty hours to submit your solution, and compete in a seasonal leaderboard for Magic: The Gathering prizes!
Thanks and see you next week!